According to statistics today, a great deal of blog hits have come from people searching for Biblical support for Osama’s death. I worry greatly about people who seek validation for modern affairs in a book, as a part of a corpus of other books, gathered hundreds of years ago, wherein the books within were written thousands of years ago, and for completely different reasons (albeit, the reasons were theological–not prophetic).
Here are some of the search queues:
- bible verses osama
- bible verses to support osama bin laden’s death
- bible verse osama bin laden
- acripture regarding bin ladens death (sic)
- good bible verses relating to osama’s death
- bible verses about osama bin laden death
- christian verses on bin laden
- bible verses on the death of osama
- how to apply scripture to bin ladens death
I stress again what I have stressed countless times before. It is dilettante-esque to believe one can (a) find passages to support murder in an ancient book, written for other reasons, hundreds of years ago and (b) find verses which mention or discuss current events (you have to not only be a dilettante, but you have to be completely stupid to think Osama is mentioned or discussed in the Bible–so if you were one of those people who were searching for Biblical references to Osama…don’t admit it to anyone and save yourself the embarrassment).
So what should you do if you want to find validation for the death of Osama? Here are some thoughts:
- Seek council from other (currently living, that is to say, alive) human beings. You can find them in your church, synagogue, mosque, community center, school, where ever. But the Bible doesn’t have the answers because (*gasp*) the books of the Bible weren’t written for you.
- Consider why you are seeking reasons to happily justify death with more death (while I am as relieved as any other American that Osama is dead, I still recognize that killing is killing, regardless how you dress it up).
- If you are seeking evidence from the Bible that the death of Osama will usher in the end times, you might need serious medical or psychological evaluation. Or you can join a cult and follow this loon. He’s a dilettante as well, so you can have all sorts of deplorable and dilettantish conversations that distort and manipulate the Biblical texts. (But just to be sure you’re aware, since you are into these sorts of dilettante things, the world will not end this month either).
Whatever you choose to do, do something. Because, trust me, if you got here by searching for these or similar terms, you’re doing it wrong.
Filed under: Belief, Searching for Muses | Tagged: Bible, Biblical Literalism, christianity, conspiracy theories, depravity, Dilettante, End of the World, fundamentalism, jesus, Osama, Osama bin Laden, pseudo-scholarship, religion, scripture |